From: jrbar...@lexmark.com [mailto:jrbar...@lexmark.com]
Sent: Wednesday, October 17, 2001 12:57 PM
To: Jon Keeble; emc-p...@majordomo.ieee.org
Subject: Re: 10/100 base interface in a plastic box

Jon,
My department has developed ten generations of Ethernet adapters (10BASE2,
10BASE-T, 100BASE-Tx) for IBM/Lexmark printers since 1990.  We have looked
at,
but so far have not used, integrated-magnetics connectors because we like
having
the option of putting a common-mode choke in between the Ethernet magnetics
(transformer-filter) and the connector.

In our card layouts we:
1.  Define a FRAME_GROUND to connect the metal bodies/shields of all
connectors
going to the outside world.
2.  Connect FRAME_GROUND to GROUND with 4-or-more "ground ties", 0.025-inch
wide
traces on the topside and
      bottomside of the card.  We use at least one pair of ground ties for
every
3 inches of "beach front" with connectors
      going to the outside world.
3.  For the Ethernet interfaces, put a void in all layers stretching from
the
center of the transformer-filter to the
     farthest pins of the RJ-45 connector, 0.2" wider than the
transformer-filter, common-mode choke, and RJ-45
     connectors.  The *only* wires permitted in this area are the Ethernet
transmit/receive signals.
4.  Run FRAME_GROUND down the edge of the card, as wide as we can make it,
ending in mounting pads for a
     metal bracket or the chassis.  These pads have non-plated-through holes
for
the mounting screws circled by eight
     vias, and are plated with tin or tin-lead on the topside and
bottomside.
FRAME_GROUND has the same outline in all
     copper layers, although we sometimes have to leave it as a void in
ground
planes because of a quirk in Mentor
     Graphics.    Put a via about every 1/2 inch along FRAME_GROUND to
connect
the layers together.
5.  Place a ground tie at each mounting pad topside and bottomside, with
additional topside and bottomside ground ties
     roughly equally spaced in between the mounting pads.  During
development
testing, these groundties can be easily
     cut with an X-acto knife if it looks like separating FRAME_GROUND from
GROUND, or having them connected at
     only one end, might improve radiated emissions and electrostatic
discharge
(ESD) immunity.

Make sure that solder does not get onto the mounting pads during
manufacturing.
The mounting pads sit right on the lugs of the metal bracket/chassis.  These
contact points on the metal bracket/chassis must be bare metal.  We recently
discovered that a transparent phosphate wash applied to a chassis before
powder
coating, as a priming step, seriously affected radiated emissions and the
ESD
immunity.  We now require these contact points to be masked off before the
chassis goes through any cleaning/painting steps.  A machine screw with a
built-in belleville washer, and a nut with a captive star washer, hold the
card
and the metal bracket/chassis in tight metal-to-metal contact despite
temperature changes, vibration, creeping of the plating, etc.

For our External Network Adapters, the metal bracket is bent into L, and
extends
all the way under the card.  This bracket ties the faces of metal connectors
together, connects to FRAME_GROUND, and provides a ground plane all the way
under the card to reduce radiated emissions and reduce our susceptibility to
tabletop ESD (an IBM test).  From the side the card, connectors, and bracket
look like this:

!
!+------+
!!      !
!!      !
!========================================
+----
!                                         <-- insulating spacer, or tab bent
up
to support card
whether
having the card