Hi Amund:

>   UL and/or CSA certification are mandatory within the electrical safety
> area, to
>   have access to the US and Canadian marked. Right ?

Yes -- sort of.  Safety certification of IT equipment
is mandatory in both Canada and the USA.  However,
both countries accept safety certification from a
number of certification houses, including but not
limited to CSA and UL.  So, certification is required
in both Canada and the USA, but not necessarily by
CSA and UL.

Both UL and CSA can certify IT products for both
the USA and Canada.

            Canada      USA
            ------      ---

UL          cUL mark    UL mark

CSA         CSA mark    CSA-NRTL mark

(The marks are combination marks, i.e., they are
base logo marks with additions that indicate the
certification applies to both countries.)

>   1.Do they have the same status?

UL and CSA (and their certification marks) have the
same status in both Canada and the USA.

>   2.What requirements do the end users/ buyers have, do most of them prefer
> one
>   of the approvals?

Not many customers pay attention to who issues the
certification mark.  However, among those that have
an interest, in general, Canadian folks prefer CSA,
and USA folks prefer UL.

>   3.Do we have to go for both of them?

Not necessarily.  Your product must have safety
certification in both Canada and the USA.

1)  Either CSA or UL can issue one certification
    that is acceptable in both countries.

Or,

2)  CSA and UL can issue individual certifications
    for their respective countries, i.e., you can
    submit to CSA for Canadian certification and to
    UL for USA certification.

Most of us in the USA use one certification house
for both countries.  Some of us use CSA, some of us
use UL, and some of us use other certification
houses.

Best regards,
Rich