        From:  Chris Maxwell [SMTP:chris.maxw...@nettest.com]
        Sent:  Thursday, September 06, 2001 11:38 AM
        To:  EMC-PSTC Internet Forum
        Subject:  Noise from flourescent light ballasts?

        Hi all,

        We have personally experienced an interesting phenomenon.  We build
        certain circuit that detects a 20Khz tone.  This circuit is housed
in a
        product that has an EMI spray coated case.  One of our engineers
noticed
        that our techs on the manufacturing floor were having a difficult
time
        setting up units on the floor.  The tone detect circuit kept getting
set
        off for apparantly no reason.

        However, back in the engineering lab, we have no problems.

        So we did a little experiment.  We took a unit out to the
manufacturing
        floor and opened its case (which is how they work on them in
        manufacturing).

        We held it up near the lights.  The tone detect circuit went crazy.

        We put the unit down on the bench.  No problem.

        But, if you leave it opened up on the bench and hold your hand over
the
        board, the circuit goes off again.

        When we close up the case work, all of these problems go away.

        So, our obvious solution is to make a modified casework with
"tweaker
        holes" so that manufacturing personnel can tweak the amplifier pots
with
        the casework closed.   But.... I'm still curious.  What's causing
the
        interference?

        I was wondering if flourescent light ballasts could be giving off an
        emission in the KHz range.  (Maybe that's why holding it to the
lights
        sets it off.)  But what about the hand waving?  If I assume the
ballasts
        are giving off emissions, can I also assume that the human body can
        change the local field pattern?

        Am I barking up the wrong tree?  Maybe its the LAN cables in the
        ceiling?

        Anybody else have a similar experience or some insight into this?

        Thanks,

        Chris Maxwell | Design Engineer - Optical Division
        email chris.maxw...@nettest.com | dir +1 315 266 5128 | fax +1 315
797
        8024

        NetTest | 6 Rhoads Drive, Utica, NY 13502 | USA
        web www.nettest.com | tel +1 315 797 4449 |

            No longer online until our new server is brought online and the
old messages are imported into the new server.