Hi all,

anybody out there can explain the difference between FTP (Foiled Twisted Pair) and STP (Shielded Twisted Pair) cables used for Ethernet links. In Ethernet standard IEEE 802.3 (2000) I find only a definition of STP (herebelow in copied and pasted from the standard - page 28):
In a vendor's catalog, I found a definition of FTP as

<<1.4.249 shielded twisted-pair (STP)cable: An electrically conducting cable,comprising one or more ele- ments,each of which is individually shielded.There may be an o erall shield,in which case the cable is referred to as shielded twisted-pair cable with an o erall shield (from ISO/IEC 11801:1995).Speci .cally for IEEE 802.3 100BASE-TX,150 . balanced inside cable with performance characteristics speci .ed to 100 MHz (i.e.,performance to Class D link standards as per ISO/IEC 11801:1995).In addition to the requirements speci .ed in ISO/IEC 11801:1995,IEEE 802.3 Clauses 23 and 25 provide additional perfor-
mance requirements for 100BASE-T operation o er STP.>>

The reason of my inquiry is that we bought samples of "STP" and "FTP" cat.5 cables for 10bT ethernet applications from different vendors and to our surprise we discovered that both "STP" and "FTP" types have an overall (external) shield made of aluminum foil, but no shields on individual wires or wire couples (as per 802.3 definition above).

Any inputs, suggestions etc. would be appreciated.

Paolo

Paolo Roncone
EMC Compliance Engineer - Cisco Photonics Italy
via Philips 12 - Monza (MI) 20052
mailto:pronc...@cisco.com
phone: +39 039209 1538
fax: +39 039209 2036