From: John Woodgate [mailto:j...@jmwa.demon.co.uk]
Sent: Saturday, August 18, 2001 1:55 PM
To: emc-p...@majordomo.ieee.org
Subject: Re: CE test suite for computers

I read in !emc-pstc that Tania Grant <taniagr...@msn.com> wrote (in
<oe127msph2q6dqajy4k00004...@hotmail.com>) about 'CE test suite for
computers', on Sat, 18 Aug 2001:
>    Most people will never understand anything unless it is explained
>    to them.  Merely stating
>    that the power distribution in Europe and America is not the same,
>    is not an explanation but could even be construed as a lofty
>    put-down.

I think one would have to be touchy to regard it as a put-down. I admit
to some exasperation, in that members of IEC SC77A/WG1 and WG2,
especially the US and Canadian experts, have been working hard to
convince their professional colleagues that the European requirements on
harmonic current and voltage-change emissions are *fairly* soundly-
based, not inventions of the Devil. Had the European electricity supply
industry been a little less secretive, and offered more comprehensive
explanations for the need for emission control, much of the controversy
of the last 10 years might have been avoided.

>    If anyone out there can explain the difference between American and
>    European power distribution, and why harmonics are not such a big
>    problem in the U.S., I am sure that many of us will be extremely
>    grateful.

Well, it isn't a big secret but it isn't common knowledge in the
Americas. I feel sure that much more exhaustive explanations than that
offered below can be found by a web search. Several US and Canada-based
academics have written on the subject.

Briefly, in the Americas, power is distributed at Medium Voltage to
points very close to where it is used, and transformers of no more than
a few tens of kVA rating deliver Low Voltage, 220 V centre-grounded, to
residential and light industrial users. The transformer impedances are
lower than is usual in Europe, even allowing for the voltage
differences. The MV network impedances are also lower than in Europe.

Because the supply impedances are lower, a given amount of harmonic
current produces less voltage distortion, and that is what tends to
cause adverse effects, except 'hot neutrals' due to triplen harmonic
addition in the neutral conductors of 3-phase 4-wire systems.

Because the supply impedances are lower, and fewer users are fed from
each transformer, voltage-changes due to rapidly-varying load currents
are smaller and affect fewer users. 120 V lamps have thicker filaments
and flicker less for a given transient voltage change.

All this is being studied and documented by the above-mentioned IEC WGs,
and improved standards, and other types of publication, will result in
due course.

In Europe, up to typically 500 residential and light industrial users
are supplied from one 500 kVA or larger transformer, so the LV cable
runs are much longer than in the American system, and deliver nominally
230 V single- or 3-phase (230 V phase voltage), with wired neutral. The
way that the neutral is grounded differs between European countries:
France, UK and Norway use systems that are not like the US system,
whereas other countries' systems are more similar. The MV network
impedance is quite high (maybe over 15%), necessitated, AIUI, by fault-
level requirements which I personally have not studied in detail.

>    And can someone explain to me why the European Community is
>    adopting the American Energy Star Program?    -- Albeit rendered in
>    their own language!

No-one knows why the EC does anything. (;-)
--
Regards, John Woodgate, OOO - Own Opinions Only. http://www.jmwa.demon.co..uk

Eat mink and be dreary!

    http://www.rcic.com/      click on "Virtual Conference Hall,"