Kyle writes ..

>> Doug has touched on what I think would be a great tool for the
>> EMI hunter...but rather than a 'sniffer', a 'goggle' similar
>> to what Geordi wears that facilitates the direct viewing of EM radiation.
>>
>> Ideally, the device would allow adjustable band 'viewing' of the radiation
>> frequency, intensity, polarity and propagation pattern(s).

Ah! I believe one exists! For PCB's anyway.

I did not believe it when I read about in an EMC magazine (Compliance journal
I think), so I asked for a demo last month and true to his word, the man came
in and showed me their new invention: the 'EMC Scanner'. I had him scan one
of my PCB's and indeed it picked up all the frequencies I had picked up at the
test house, but in addition, gave me a graphical picture where exactly (down
to the IC!) the emissions were coming from!

Check out http://www.etsi.co.uk

Best regards

- Chris

Doug has touched on what I think would be a great tool for the
EMI hunter...but rather than a 'sniffer', a 'goggle' similar
to what Geordi wears that facilitates the direct viewing of EM radiation.

Ideally, the device would allow adjustable band 'viewing' of the radiation
frequency, intensity, polarity and propagation pattern(s).

A rig like this could add a pc for compliance recognition/cataloging
and perhaps someday eliminate the need for OATS, TEM cells and other
investigatinve methods.  The system could also harass on a per sample
basis in situ mfg. product.

-kyle, KC0IQE