We have recently dealt with a similar situation, and have concluded that:

At least for NEMA 3R and NEMA 4, Yes, NEMA 250 = UL 50 type. The tests are
worded slightly different.

Yes, you can self certify to NEMA

NEMA vs. UL; NEMA rating shows compliance with tests. UL type shows
compliance with UL50 and UL476C where applicable, essentially same tests as
NEMA, and subjects the equipment to UL recognition and follow-up criteria.

As for UL types, in our case, the UL type allows us to put into the listing
report that the product meets the requirements of NEMA. I think that the
inspectors are more familiar with, and are looking for the NEMA rating. By
having UL list the product, we are having a 3rd party say we meet the NEMA.

James  Goedderz
Product Safety Engineer
Sensormatic