Hi George,

Sorry I could not get to EMC-PSTC issues earlier.

Standards Australia are not the right people.  they are only a standards
development and publishing organisation (the National Standards body
facilitating development of national standards where required and Australian
participation in international standards activities etc).

If I understand your need correctly, you want to bring into Australia a
prototype AC/DC adapter (stand-alone "Brick" type power pack) for evaluation
purposes prior to applying for the required certification/approvals etc.

I am wondering what sort of evaluation are you considering and why do you
need to do it?  Unless it is reliability etc generally, you meet the
requirements, the device is fine.

The device you describe is categorised as a "Declared Article" and as such
is required to be approved by an Electrical Authority in one of the
Australian States or Territories prior to being placed on the market.  The
legislation/regulations etc actually do not prohibit you connecting such as
device to the mains for evaluation purposes.  The legislation/regulations
control the sale of such devices.

I can assist with or arrange testing and approval for you if required.  Let
me know if you need further help and we can possibly discuss it off-line.

Best regards,
Kevin Richardson

Stanimore Pty Limited
Compliance Advice & Solutions for Technology
(Legislation/Regulations/Standards)
Ph:       02-4329-4070       (Int'l: +61-2-4329-4070)
Fax:      02-4328-5639       (Int'l: +61-2-4328-5639)
Mobile:  04-1224-1620       (Int'l: +61-4-1224-1620)
Email:    k...@compuserve.com
             (kevin.richard...@ieee.org - alternate email)