I've been wondering about the safety consequences of the suggested load shedding expected tonight. A chain letter which has gained a lot of popularity recommends turning off all electrical use from 7 to 10pm in celebration of the solstice and in reaction to the recent west coast power problems. If a significant portion of the country suddenly sheds load at a specific time, will the utililities be ready? What are the consequences for voltage and frequency regulation as generating capacity is faced with a sudden load drop? I don't know the degree of participation expected nationwide, but there has been a lot of coverage about this from Jay Leno to NPR. Possibly the rest of us should participate just to protect our appliances.

Bob