        From:  Massey, Doug C. [SMTP:masse...@ems-t.com]
        Sent:  Monday, June 04, 2001 8:47 AM
        To:  'IEEE Forum'
        Subject:  Product Safety: A Matter of Law or Litigation?

        Colleagues:

        I have been tasked with justifying the need for independent, third
party
        evaluations of the safety of our company's products to applicable
standards.
        Our company manufactures various ITE equipment, either handheld,
battery
        powered devices, or ITE devices powered by vehicle batteries. In
particular,
        the scope of the LVD states that it is applicable to devices rated
        50-1000Vac or 75-1500Vdc; most of our products are below 75Vdc. We
market
        these products in 35 countries; North America, the EU/EFTA, and
others - in
        fact, pretty much all of the countries participating in the CB
Scheme.

        In the US, OSHA regs justify this requirement, as our equipment is
sold
        through direct channels solely for logistics applications - in other
words,
        US workers will be using the equipment - it's not for general
consumer use.
        TITLE 29--LABOR PART 1910--OCCUPATIONAL SAFETY AND HEALTH
STANDARDS--Table
        of Contents Subpart S--Electrical Sec. 1910.399 Definitions
applicable to
        this subpart. Acceptable. An installation or equipment is acceptable
to the
        Assistant Secretary of Labor, and approved within the meaning of
this
        Subpart S: (i) If it is accepted, or certified, or listed, or
labeled, or
        otherwise determined to be safe by a nationally recognized testing
        laboratory; or (ii) With respect to an installation or equipment of
a kind
        which no nationally recognized testing laboratory accepts,
certifies, lists,
        labels, or determines to be safe, if it is inspected or tested by
another
        Federal agency, or by a State, municipal, or other local authority
        responsible for enforcing occupational safety provisions of the
National
        Electrical Code and found in compliance with the provisions of the
National
        Electrical Code as applied in this subpart; or ...

        In the EU/EFTA, the justification is not so easy.  As I mentioned
earlier,
        the products are exempt from the LVD. The General Product Safety
Directive,
        and the Product Liability Directive, do not give me an easy
justification,
        such as in the case of the OSHA regs stated in US Federal Code. My
company
        has always had all products evaluated to the -950 standards, but has
        observed that other manufacturers of similar equipment do not have
their
        products evaluated to applicable safety standards, and CE mark their
        products based on compliance to the EMC Directive, but not to the
LVD.

        I would greatly appreciate your insights, opinions, and assistance
with this
        question.

        Doug Massey
        Safety Approvals Engineer