Hi Dave:

>   Can anybody tell me where it is defined at what point in production it is
>   permissible to apply the UL mark? Can it only be done after the hi-pot has
>   passed? Or is it OK to have the label applied before the test as long as the
>   units are clearly marked as having failed hi-pot?

You should direct this question to UL.  :-)

This is one of those questions that if you
should ask UL, you must be prepared to live
with the worst-case answer.  This is a
question that is better not asked because...

Strictly speaking, the UL mark goes on *AFTER*
the product meets all the UL requirements,
including passing the hi-pot test.  I believe
this is specified in the front matter of your
UL FUS Procedure.

But, putting the UL mark on AFTER these processes
implies a stick-on label and a specific production
step.

These two implications may not be compatible with
your production sequences.  And, such implications
would prohibit molding the mark into a plastic
part (which many of us do).

In real life, the mark can go on at any step in
the production process.  In practice, UL looks the
other way in terms of the sequence step in which
the mark is applied.

If UL had any doubts about your product and the
quality of your production, UL would probably
insist that the mark be applied AFTER the hi-pot
test.

Best regards,
Rich