Hi John:

>   Because continuity at low current does not ensure that the protective
>   circuit will carry a large fault current - it might be 'hanging on by
>   one strand'.

Yes, for one strand.  No, for five strands.

Some years ago, I did some experiments on what
problems the 25-amp test would detect.  I
simulated broken strands by cutting them one
at a time.  With five strands intact, the circuit
passed the 25-amp, 2-minute test.  It failed at
4 strands and 1 minute.

(The tested wire was 18 AWG comprised of 36
strands of 34 AWG.)

The ability of a few strands to carry the 25-amp
current depends on the free length of the
those few strands, which in turn determines the
heat-sinking provided to those strands.  The
free length was on the order of 3 mm.

My experiment assumed the problem was caused by
an incorrectly set wire stripper, that cut a
number of strands.  So there was a very small
free length of strands.

I published this study in the Product Safety
Newsletter, Vol. 10, No.1, January-March, 1997.

Best regards,
Rich