Hi Ravinder:

>   I am interested in knowing if a 120V, 60Hz microwave oven can be safely
>   used on a 240V, 50Hz mains supply with a step-down transformer.

In essence, you are asking if a microwave oven
rated for 60 Hz will operate safely at 50 Hz.

I would guess that the microwave oven uses both
a mains-frequency transformer and a mains-frequency
fan.

The problem is that of the quantity of iron in both
the transformer and the fan.  50 Hz requires more
iron to prevent saturation of the core.

If there is insufficient iron, the devices will
tend to overheat at maximum or even normal load.
The fan will run slower.

If the devices are conservatively designed, they
will work okay, although without margin, at 50 Hz.

Overheating of the transformer or the fan motor
will initially produce an odor followed by smoke.
I believe microwave ovens have an internal fuse,
so this should operate before things get too hot.
In addition, microwave ovens are in metal
enclosures, so if a failure should occur, the fire
is not likely to escape the enclosure.

As a general rule, for electro-magnetic devices
such as transformers and motors, you run a risk of
failure when the frequency goes down.

Best regards,
Rich