Just my observation, but I was under the impression
that power factor compensation with the power
companies is primarily capacitive.  In other words,
the power grid out to the public *appears* overly
inductive and power companies compensate this
by adding capacitors.  I'm not sure in light of this
how lowering the line voltage would gain much of
anything.  As has been said, if the public grid was
primarily resistive, I think you'd get away with lowering
the voltage to lower power.

Just a personal comment - I think I'd like to see a
discussion on 240vac being the household voltage rather
than 120vac for power conservation.  Some of the high
currents from 120vac I've personally seen causing even
slight heating of power cords seems to be a waste.
Double the voltage, halve the current, thus I^2R loss
in power cables alone reduce by a 1/4.  That's a lot
of power cables we're talking about.

Just my two cents.

- Doug McKean