Jon,

There is no specific requirement for power factor correction as far as I
know.
 The Harmonics Emissions Standard BS EN 61000-3-2 1995 became mandatory
01/01/2001, this sets limits for the harmonic disturbance permitted on the
mains  - so it adds up to the same thing. .

It applies to all equipment having a mains input power consumption over 75
watts.

Your type of equipment must meet limits defined as being Class A or Class D.
Units fall within Class A unless they have a wave shape lying within a
"special wave shape", in which case they are Class D.
Class D limits are more onerous.

Computers, monitors and televisions must meet Class D limits, irrespective
of wave shape..

You need a copy of the standard for the limit tables and the "special wave
shape".

Regards

Steve Austin
<aus...@cassindustries.com>