Ken and I have been talking this over off-line, and it seems like an
important thing to note is that the HP / Agilent spectrum analyzers tune
over a measurement range by continuously sweeping their local oscillator.
Setting a resolution bandwidth and a span width does not mean that the
analyzer will tune in discreet hops. Even under external HP software
control, the analyzer firmware still does (perhaps a series of) analog
sweeps.

OTOH, if you use your own software, specify a resolution bandwidth, and then
send a series of "tune, measure, tune,..." commands, then you can miss
emissions between the skirts of the passbands if your step size is too
large.

You have to understand how your receiver or analyzer actually covers a
frequency range.

Regards,

Ed

Ed Price
ed.pr...@cubic.com
Electromagnetic Compatibility Lab
Cubic Defense Systems
San Diego, CA  USA
858-505-2780  (Voice)
858-505-1583  (Fax)
Military & Avionics EMC Services Is Our Specialty
Shake-Bake-Shock - Metrology - Reliability Analysis