ANSI/NFPA 30A is the Automobile and Marine Service Station Code,
and has a table of "Electrical Equipment Classified Areas - Service
Stations", which described the extent of classified areas adjacent
to pumps and underground tanks.

For our Automated Teller Machines, I always ask the customer to tell
me whether the installation is to be in a Classified Area (USA) or
Hazardous Zone (UK). If they say that it is, I have to say that we
do not claim that our products are suitable for such an installation,
and that a fairly lengthy and probably expensive exercise would be
necessary to research the requirements and to modify the products to
meet the requirements.  One such requirement is "all sources of
ignition, including those associated with sparks of any sort or hot
surfaces of electrical equipment should be excluded from hazardous
areas, or, in the case of electrical equipment, should be specially
protected". I think this came from BS5345, now superseded by
EN60079.

Typically, however, our products are installed in the sales area of
a service station, where, as already noted, "normal" IT equipment
can be found. The table in the above NFPA document puts "sales,
storage, and rest rooms" in the category "nonclassified".

I believe you also have to watch out for any equipment which might
draw air in from a hazardous zone, in that this will effectively
extend the hazardous zone; and also that the parking position of
a delivery tanker might also extend a hazardous zone.

Please be aware I am not an expect on this subject - as you can
see from the above, I have tried not to become involved -
successfully so far.

Regards,
John Crabb, Development Excellence (Product Safety) ,
NCR  Financial Solutions Group Ltd.,  Kingsway West, Dundee, Scotland. DD2
3XX
E-Mail :john.cr...@scotland.ncr.com
Tel: +44 (0)1382-592289  (direct ). Fax +44 (0)1382-622243.   VoicePlus
6-341-2289.