Duncan,

>From the Galvanic Compatibility Chart in the back of Instrument Specialties
>(Now called Laird Technoligies) catalog.

Tin plating has an anodic index of 0.6V
Copper itself has an anodic index of 0.35V

For tin plated copper; I would use 0.6V.

Galvanized Steel (either hot dip or eletrogalvanized) has an anodic index of
1.2V
Most steels (including stainless) themselves are between 0.5V and 0.6V

I'm not sure if zinc "passivated" steel is the same as galvanized steel.

According to the tables, a general guideline is:

A difference of less than 0.10V is OK for harsh environments (humid, salt air..)
A difference of 0.25V is OK for normal (warehouse...) environments
A difference of 0.5V is OK for temperature/humidity controlled office
environments.

The table warns that it provides "general guidelines"; so be warned.

Another excellent reference on this subject is MIL-STD-105D.  I have used it
before; but, I don't have it here in front of me.  I believe that it is
available on the web from astimage.daps.dla.mil/quicksearch/

Best regards,

Chris Maxwell | Design Engineer - Optical Division
email chris.maxw...@nettest.com | dir +1 315 266 5128 | fax +1 315 797 8024

NetTest | 6 Rhoads Drive, Utica, NY 13502 | USA
web www.nettest.com | tel +1 315 797 4449 |