Regarding the "Letters of Accession", Gary is correct, they really
serve no useful purpose to the NRTLs. It is merely an acknowledgement
that the report was received.
The letter that could have 'traction' is the subsequent 'review'
letter. That letter in most cases would state: "Your product
report date MM/DD/YY, accession number XXXXXXX, has been reviewed
and no further information is required at this time. Thank you
for your continued cooperation."
While it is true that the CDRH does not officially 'approve' a product,
it is my opinion the review letter conveys acceptance of the demonstration
of the product's compliance to 21CFR 1040.
I have successfully used these letters with a large NRTL in demonstrating
compliance with the radiation clauses in the ITE specs.
There was one instance where the NRTL asked to see the report that was
supplied to the CDRH, but they didn't discredit it.

The CDRH claims that they are under no obligation to send the
'review' letters. They usually do it automatically, but sometimes
it 'falls through the cracks ' because they are short-staffed.
If you don't receive one in a couple of months after receiving the
'Letter of Accession', call them and ask for one, they'll give you one.

My experience,

GE Interlogix

John A. Juhasz
Fiber Options Div.