Dear Dan
You are correct, an IEC 61508 SIL is a property of an overall safety-related
function or system.

It cannot be applied to a constituent part.

However, IEC 61508 gives you a list of the things that you need to provide
safety-related systems designers with, so that they can decide how to use
your product to achieve the IEC 61508 SIL they require.

These include data on the product's :
a) Quantified failure probability
b) Hardware fault tolerance
c) The techniques that you used to avoid and control systematic faults (in
both hardware and software, not forgetting EMC)
d) To what degree your product or its components have been ‘proved-in-use’

Note: SIL ratings are defined in IEC 61508 and this is probably what your
customer was asking about - but the acronym "SIL" could possibly be used by
other standards or guides, so you should check that IEC 61508's SILs is what
they were really interested in.

All the very best!
Keith Armstrong
www.cherryclough.com