From: Wan Juang Foo [mailto:f...@np.edu.sg]
Sent: Sunday, April 21, 2002 11:47 PM
To: am...@westin-emission.no; ieee pstc list
Subject: Re: Decoupling - capacitor values

Amund,
Thanks for the info, not having a copy of the standard, may I out of
curiosity ask about the measurement bandwidth for the various bands?

The way I see it, I suppose you have to test Radiated Emission down to 150
kHz which is very unusual because it will bring you into the near field.
The units given are in E field units so am I missing on something here.
BTY I take it that the units given is 'dBuV/m' and not 'dBmV/m'.

Back to the original question of decoupling capacitors values.   If 100 pF
as a quick fix, proves to do no good, and AFAIK in all probability it may
not work for all kinds of reason, then you may have to sniff around to
identify the 'radiating element'.  This can be done without a chamber and
your probes need not be calibrated if it is 'only' used for debugging.
As I have mention earlier, train your browser search engine on Douglas
Smith or DIY 1 GHz probe and you may get something useful.
Does anyone out there have the URLs?

sincerely

Tim Foo

                      amund@westin-emission.

                      no                             To:      "ieee pstc
list" <emc-p...@ieee.org>
                      Sent by:                       cc:      (bcc: Wan
Juang Foo/ece/staff/npnet)
                      owner-emc-pstc@majordo         Subject: SV: Decoupling
- capacitor values
                      mo.ieee.org

                      04/20/02 03:45 PM

                      Please respond to

                      amund

Tim,

The standard is IEC/EN60945:1997, "Maritime navigation and radio
communication equipment and systems - General requirements- Methods of
testing and required test results". Almost all ship classification
societies
as Lloyd's Register (LR), Germanischer Lloyd (GL), American Bureau of
Shipping (ABS), Bureau Veritas (BV), Det Norske Veritas (DNV), Registro
Italiano Navale (RINA), Korean Register of Shipping (KR), China
Classification Society (CCS) refer to IEC60945.

The limits are:

150kHz-300kHz            80-52dBmV/m
300kHz - 30MHz           52-34dBmV/m
30M - 156MHz             54dBmV/m
156M -165MHz             24dBmV/m
165M - 1000MHz           54dBmV/m

The 156M -165MHz band is used for marine radio communication, what's why
they have stringent demands on radiated emission.

Amund