>From David Sterner's message:
        "Most people use the EM clamp.  We test to EN50130-4 alarm
system limits:
        10V, pulsed and AM modulated.  The test is trivial because of
the inherent
        immunity of Ethernet;  be sure you understand the EUT and AE
port
        partitioning algorithms."

What!  The test is trivial because of the inherent immunity of Ethernet.

The last product that I took through the lab couldn't even take
3V...heck, the Ethernet cable couldn't even take 3V being put on some of
the other cables in the chassis.

Now, before everybody sends me design tips for Ethernet immunity...save
your breath... the chassis was a purchased computer.  It was EMC tested
(with only a dummy ethernet cable and no traffic, mind you).  And I have
no design control of the ethernet circuit.  We ended up using shielded
Ethernet cables and invoking the "3meter rule".

The point that I'm trying to make is...I'm glad that this test is
trivial for your products.  Obviously, you have a good design
there....(Where were you when we were looking for a compliant mainframe
to use with our system?)  But this type of immunity performance cannot
be attributed to all Ethernet ports in general or to the Ethernet
protocol in general.

Best regards,

Chris Maxwell | Design Engineer - Optical Division
email chris.maxw...@nettest.com | dir +1 315 266 5128 | fax +1 315 797
8024

NetTest | 6 Rhoads Drive, Utica, NY 13502 | USA
web www.nettest.com | tel +1 315 797 4449 |