  From: Pierre SELVA
  To: Forum Safety-emc
  Sent: Friday, January 11, 2002 5:18 PM
  Subject: TR: 60950 - Insulation between mains and secondary with
capacitors

  Hi forum members,

    I would like to know your meaning on the following :

    The concerned product is in the 60950 scope (EN, UL or IEC). I would
like to make the insulation between the mains and the secondary without
transformer, but only with capacitors (X rated). In fact, I need to use only
the high frequency signals transmitted on the mains. In this case, the
capacitors are considered as short circuit, and the 50 (or 60) Hz is cutted
by caps.

    The circuit is as follow :
                  C               T1
    ---------------| |-------------+  +-----
    Mains                      +  +       Secondary part
    ---------------| |-------------+  +------

    C are X rated capacitors
    T1 is only a signal transformer (not use for galvanic insulation)

    My questions are :

    - Is this insulation correct according to reinforced insulation
requirements ?
    - May I use only one caps for C, or 2 serial caps (in case of first
default) ?
    - Do you see other critical points regarding 950 requirements ?

    Thanks a lot for your contribution,
    Best regards,
    Pierre

    eLABs  (emc, safety and radio labs)