Duncan,

You might want to get all the info you can get on
contact ratings for mechanical relays and contactors.
Then, use that information by analogy.

DC operation of a switch is the more destructive by
orders of magnitude than AC operation.  Since the
normal cycle of AC will quench any spark within
16ms/20ms, DC on the other hand provides no
quenching of the spark till the contacts make.
That's why you will see great differences between
the AC and DC ratings of switches (the great
switch mystery finally demystified).

Any "power" ratings for switches are typically done
in horsepower.  Inrush, careful - I'm assuming here,
might be estimated from some fudge combination of
voltage and current over time.

The relay people have gone through some intensive
research over the years regarding MAKE/BREAK
conditions, the success of various platings for the
contacts, and snubber design to help with the
reduction of the spark intensity (i.e. inrush problems).

Regards, Doug McKean