Hi Folks.

At the moment I'm examining as a generic case, the potential for
interference with Item A (tested to comply with 3V/m radiated immunity)
caused by Item B (tested to comply with FCC or EN Class A [industrial]
emissions).

Using simple inverse distance ( E2 = E1 x d1/d2 ) extrapolation (assuming
dominant interfering frequencies will be in the far field), I come up with
a required separation distance of approximately 75cm to ensure the 3V/m
immunity limit of Item A isn't exceeded by the 47dBuV/m emissions from Item
B.

Based on this, I'd expect then the risk for EMC problems should be
relatively low provided:
1. A minimum separation of 1m was used between Items A & B;
2. No direct interconnection of A to B via cables;
3. Use of a mains filter and/or separate power supply sources for A & B;
4. The nature of Item B is such that no significant low (eg.power)
frequency magnetic fields are emitted;

Does anyone have any experience to suggest that the minimum separation of
1m under theses conditions would not be adequate?

Thanks,

Peter Poulos
Design Engineer
Foxboro Transportation