Rich,

Your scenarios are excellent at proving my point that it is largely the
unregulated devices amongst us that are the true source of "EMIC",
i.e. electromagnetic incompatibility.

Thanks, George

Rich Nute <richn%sdd.hp....@interlock.lexmark.com> on 01/03/2002 02:19:38 PM

To:   "George_Alspaugh/Lex/Lexmark.LEXMARK"@sweeper.lex.lexmark.com
cc:   emc-pstc%ieee....@interlock.lexmark.com (bcc: George Alspaugh/Lex/Lexmark)
Subject:  Re: EMC-related safety issues

Hi George:

>   The key word in EMC is "compatibility".  This implies that electrical and
>   electronic equipment are (ideally) designed so that each can operate
>   normally in the presence of another.  This requires limiting both the
>   emissions and sensitivity of such devices.

EMC?  Ha!

I've replaced the incandescent lamp on my bedside
table with a new energy-saving compact flourescent
lamp.  With the lamp on, I cannot listen to even
the strongest AM radio station on my clock radio
(on the same bedside table) due to the lamp
interference.  This must not be the usage
contemplated by EMC requirements.

My TV and stereo are more-or-less integrated
(they are in close proximity).  On New Year's Day,
I wanted to listen to the radio version of the
football game description while watching the TV.
With the TV on, I cannot listen to even the
strongest AM radio station due to the TV
interference.  This must not be the usage
contemplated by EMC requirements.

I take my Grundig portable radio with me when I
travel.  Most hotels have sufficient interference
sources that I cannot listen to AM radio, and
sometimes not even FM radio (with lights and TV
off!).  This must not be the usage contemplated
by EMC requirements.

EMC?  Ha!

Rich