From: owner-emc-p...@majordomo.ieee.org
[mailto:owner-emc-p...@majordomo.ieee.org] On Behalf Of John Woodgate
Sent: Friday, December 28, 2001 1:31 PM
To: emc-p...@majordomo.ieee.org
Subject: Re: Field Strength - Substitution Method

I read in !emc-pstc that Cortland Richmond <72146....@compuserve.com>
wrote (in <200112280904_mc3-ec2a-3...@compuserve.com>) about 'Field
Strength - Substitution Method', on Fri, 28 Dec 2001:
>This isn't the issue. The receiving antenna, as you say, can't tell.
The
>problem is the substitute antenna.
>
>We assume the source is a dipole (or, here, a bilog) at every
frequency.
>Our substitute antenna has a simple pattern (even a bilog - we spend a
lot
>of money to get it, too).  The source is not so simple. Even if it IS a
>half-wave dipole at (say) 100 MHz, at harmonics it is a wavelength long
or
>more, and radiates in sheaves of cones oriented at some angle along the
>axis of the wire (a LP does NOT do this!) - most of which may miss the
>receiving antenna completely on an OATS. The angles along the wire
decrease
>as the frequency increases. It will have gain over a dipole; the lobes
off
>its ends narrower and stronger than those from a dipole fed with the
same
>power, and at high enough harmonics, close enough to the axis of the
>conductor that they are again directed towards the receiving antenna as
we
>turn the EUT.
>
>This will bias calculations which assume the source has a simple
pattern at
>_every_ frequency. It doesn't.

I just don't buy that. The receiving antenna is measuring the field
strength at its position (actually some sort of average over its
volume). How that field strength is produced is irrelevant - whether it
comes from the bilog or the EUT.

Besides, limits are based on the direct measurement of field strength by
a receiving antenna. Only the changes of height and polarization search
the actual emission pattern of the EUT, with a VERY broad brush.
Emissions in narrow lobes in other directions and emissions at harmonic
frequencies are not measured, but that is not an error - they are either
measured at another stage (higher frequency measurements or during
rotation of the EUT) or are not required to be measured.
http://www.jmwa.demon.co.uk
After swimming across the Hellespont, I felt like a Hero.