Gregg,

The problem that you mention below does not have anything to do with the
argument of paper vs electronic storage; where you keep your DoC or even
whether you use the latest copy of documentation.  The problem that you bring
up, which is valid, lies in how the documentation is created and revised.

Test reports have to be revised so that historical information is not lost.

Our latest compliance test plans include a list of major subassemblies, by
revision, of the test sample used for testing.  If there is retesting, that
list isn't destroyed during the revision.  A new list is added to account for
the changes.

So, in the best case, the user is guaranteed to get the latest, current
revision from our document control which INCLUDES all testing ever done on the
product and a snapshot of the product taken at each point in testing.

Now consider the paper case.  Can you guarantee that any one paper copy will
have all of that information?  Are you suggesting that a separate, new paper
copy be created and stored for each and every revision of a product; or each
and every re-test?  I can guarantee that it just isn't the case.

 Many NRTL reports, in paper, consist of an original report plus amendments and
revisions.  The amendments and revisions consist of either changed sheets,
inserted sheets, additional appendices...    Our office has taken over
custodial responsibility for these reports created by other companies that were
merged with us.  I can tell you, first hand, that these paper reports are a
MESS.  They come to me in a &%*$ box with no page numbering scheme or any other
way of knowing if you have the whole report or just a part.

Some of the companies that were merged with us had electronic reports.  They
gave me a disk or server address with all of the test data on it.  Job done.
The electronic reports consist of a directory with all files stored and named
by date, and/or report number.

By the way.  Our electronic files are backed up regularly and stored offsite in
a fireproof container.  Can anyone say the same about their paper copies?

Consider the thought experiment that follows:

Put an electronic copy of test data on a company's document control server with
regular backup.  The electronic backup is kept offsite just in case the factory
has a fire, earthquake, plague of paper eating locusts, whatever.  Then
consider a paper copy in someone's office in Europe.  Which one would you
trust?  Which one do you think will be around in ten years?

All your points are well taken; but they are solvable in electronic format.  My
experience is that electronic wins out in: integrity of copy, availability,
storage safety, ease of update, coherence of storage and just about any other
category that I can think of.    The only time paper wins out over electronic
is during a power outage.

Chris Maxwell | Design Engineer - Optical Division
email chris.maxw...@nettest.com | dir +1 315 266 5128 | fax +1 315 797 8024

NetTest | 6 Rhoads Drive, Utica, NY 13502 | USA
web www.nettest.com | tel +1 315 797 4449 |