Hello Jim,

I don't believe the orientation of the U-ground pin is declared anyplace
in the NEC. When I recently approached my local AHJ with this question he
related that it is a matter of custom (locality dependent). In this area,
central Connecticut, the custom is:

For commercial/industrial applications, U-Ground topmost
For household wiring, U-Ground towards the bottom

The rationale offered for the U-Ground topmost; if the plug partially
separates from the outlet, anything falling into the opening between the
plug and the outlet will first encounter the grounding pin. (seems to me
that argument holds whether the use is commercial/industrial or
household).

Re dimensions of the outlet; send me your fax # and I'll fax you the
dimensions.

Regards, Art Michael

      -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --
     |            http://www.safetylink.com                   |
     |  The Safety Link is the most comprehensive collection  |
     |    of product safety and standards links on the WEB    |
     |                Check our latest offer.                 |
     |              Int'l Product Safety News                 |
     |                   Founded in 1988                      |
     |                 P.O.Box 1561 - WWW                     |
     |            Middletown CT 06457-8061 U.S.A.             |
     |     Phone: (860) 344-1651     Fax: (860) 346-9066      |
     |             email: i...@safetylink.com                 |