Well, for my two bits, I've always dealt with agencies as if they're
from Missouri "The Show Me" state. And since specific applications
can and do in many instances vary greatly, I have had some test
engineers make some general statements but not many. They probably
have had their fair share of people who are more unfamiliar than most
about standards run off stating this or that as law when they really
don't know what they're talking about.  I find that true to some extent
in any company where I've worked.  And my knee jerk reaction is
to ask to physically see whatever the issue is on something.  It's just
part of the job I guess.  Regards, Doug McKean