A request from your list administrators...

>   Except... I (and other classic Compuserve users) won't see these messages
>   at all, unless and until they appear in someone else's REPLY in a form
>   Compuserve can send. It LOOKS great - but please don't send HTML to the
>   list.

Cortland is not alone.  Some mail systems simply don't
show messages in formats other than plain text or ASCII.
UNIX mail (which I use) is another scheme that has
difficulty displaying some message formats.

For this reason, we ask that all messages to the listserver
be posted in plain text/ASCII mode.

Please set your mail program to send messages to the listserver
in plain text or ASCII mode, not in rtf, htm, or html mode.

(If you need help in doing this, please contact your local IT
folks, or send e-mail to Jim Bacher, our e-mail admin guru.)

In Outlook, when in the reply (or send) mode, click on "format"
and "plain text" before sending.

(If Outlook won't let you change the format of a reply, then
initiate a new message and copy the original text into your
reply.)

In Outlook, if you have emc-pstc in your address book, select
the address,

    click on "properties,"
    click on "smtp-address,"
    click on "send options,"
    click on "I want to specify the format..."
    click on "MIME" and "plain text."

This will automatically set your postings to plain text (ASCII)
mode.

If you want to discuss this request, please do so off-line so
that we don't contaminate our technical discussions with admin
stuff.

Thanks for observing this protocol,
Rich