Gunter,
I discuss this on pages 71-72 of my book, Electronic System Design: Interference
and Noise Control Techniques, published by Prentice-Hall in 1987 (now out of
print, but you might find a copy by searching for the ISBN number
0-13-252123-7).  A    50-250nF    capacitor across each rectifier usually works
well.

                                   John Barnes  Advisory Engineer
                                   Lexmark International

                                   (and soon to be Chief Engineer, dBi