There are no ETSI standards dealing with surge on antenna port.
The only body that are working on this item is ITU-T sg5 but are only start to study the problem. THis is normally understand not a immunity test but a survival test (resistibility) and I know to different way: one is inject a High pulse current on the shield of cable with al cable long 10 .....50 meters, the other is inject a high voltage pulse on the inner of the cable long some meter.
Ciao
Paolo   At 17:24 1/16/02 +0000, John Woodgate wrote:

I read in !emc-pstc that Spencer, David H <david.spen...@usa.xerox.com>
wrote (in <8992668F1C5ED211B4420008C74C364905234D88@USA0200MS1>) about
'Surge Applications', on Wed, 16 Jan 2002:
>Using the following references: IEC 61000-4-5:1995  and EN55024:1998.
>
>I have to test a piece of ITE equipment which has an receive antenna (the
>antenna is connected to the EUT using 50 ohm coaxial cable).  Is the EUT's
>antenna cable subject to surge test per table 2 of EN55024?
>Note 2 specifies only cables which connect to outdoor cables.
>This cable does that.
>Table 2's title is "Immunity, signal ports and telecommunications ports"  I
>feel that an antenna fits under this category.
>
>If so  (moving on from EN55024)
>
>How do I perform the test?
>Figures 13 and 14 in IEC61000-4-5 illustrates the test set up for shielded
>lines.
>However, there really only seems to be one EUT. I suspect I could consider
>the antenna as EUT 2 and the actual unit as EUT 1.  In that case the testing
>is relatively straight forward.

I consider that to be correct; the antenna is EUT 2.

>If this all sounds correct, then this is just a sanity check.  If I'm
>incorrect or missed something...could you point me in the right direction.

I think what you may have missed is that the IEC61000-4-5 surge test may
not be appropriate for application to an antenna port. I would look at
some ETSI immunity standards to see what tests are applied to antenna
ports.
After swimming across the Hellespont, I felt like a Hero.

No longer online until our new server is brought online and the old messages are imported into the new server.

Paolo Gemma
Siemens Information and Communication Network spa
Microwave Networks MW R&D NSA EMC
SS Padana sup. KM 158 20060 Cassina de'Pecchi (MI) Italy
phone +39 02 9526 6587    fax +39 02 9526 6203
mobile +39 348 3690185
e-mail paolo.ge...@icn.siemens.it