> Pardon my naivety, but how does '100 Mbit' relate to
frequencies of 30 and 60 kHz? Is this 100 Mbit per week?
(;-)
> --
> Regards, John Woodgate, OOO - Own Opinions Only.
http://www.jmwa.demon.co.uk

<snip>
First, a little background on auto negotiation. The IEEE
802.3u 100BaseTX auto negotiation specification uses a
modified version of the link integrity test defined for
10BaseT devices. The link integrity test for 10BaseT
devices uses the Normal Link Pulse (NLP), a burst pulse
every 16 (+/- 8) microseconds. For 10/100 Mbps auto
negotiation, a Fast Link Pulse (FLP) is used. The FLP
includes the same NLP burst every 16 (+/- 8) msec for
backward compatibility plus additional pulses every 62.5
(+/- 7) microseconds. The FLP burst generates code words
that are used for compatibility exchanges (duplex
settings) between link partners. If a device (such as an
Ethernet switch) sends FLP, but only receives NLP from
it's link partner (such as a server or workstation), it
will stop sending FLP and enable standard 10BaseT
operation.

I suppose you can figure out that the frequency for 100
Mbps link pulses is 62.5 kHz. If not, calculate 1/16 us.

Second, I recommend refraining from sarcastic comments
in this forum, since that doesn't seem it was about
naivety. I was actually trying to help.

Best regards, Neven