From: soundsu...@aol.com [mailto:soundsu...@aol.com]
Sent: Wednesday, October 09, 2002 12:43 PM
To: emc-p...@majordomo.ieee.org
Subject: Question regarding something slightly unusual ...

>From Doug McKean:

Why would a mfr get a UL recognition approval for a commercial
ITE style single phase 155-230vac computer style product but for
that same product get the TUV "GS" mark?

Mfr is a stateside company.

Product to be used in restricted areas with trained personnel only.
But, one that essentially anyone could buy.

What's the advantage of getting such a mixed set of approvals?

It's not really a mixed set of approvals.  UL must have considered the device
to be incomplete in some way (does it have an enclosure?), therefore they
Recognized it as a component as opposed to Listing it as a finished product.
The GS Mark has no mechanism for delineating between components and finished
products - both can receive GS approval.  Hence the TUV GS mark.

That's my guess, based on the limited information you gave.

Greg Galluccio
www.productapprovals.com