From: geor...@lexmark.com [mailto:geor...@lexmark.com]
Sent: April 2, 2002 10:35 AM
To: emc-p...@ieee.org
Subject: Danger and Power of Lightning

A year or so ago, I met a retired IBMer and his wife whose teen-age son
was stuck and killed some years ago by lightning in the outfield of a
baseball game that had just begun.  Other than some distant clouds,
there
was no warning that this might happen, no rain or thunder.

Now, I have just learned of the severe lightning damage done to the home
of a guy I managed in the '80s.  I have pasted his account below, with
comments in brackets [ ] of additional damage findings.  It is evidence
of the sheer power in a lightning bolt, and the strange paths it chooses
to follow in attempting to establish the "best" path between the sky and
"good" earth ground.

=====================================
Friday [March 29] around 3:15pm my house was hit by lightning. Right now
we're in a motel up the road because we don't have any electricity
(light,
heat or phones). The utility company pulled the meter to inspect and
won't
reinstall until house wiring is inspected. Due to the Easter weekend we
couldn't get anyone out before Monday.

The bolt hit in yard blowing two bushes completely out of ground then
jumped
into the rear wheel of my Corvette melting spots on both rear mag wheels
as
it went through and melting the car cover near wheels. It blew several
huge
holes in cement driveway and then hit my garage where it blew out
outlets
and switches, blew drywall and insulation completely across garage, blew
out
garage window, structurally damaged garage door & brick pillar that
supports
it and tore gutters and a section of garage roof at corner off house.
The new
heat pump is fried along with phone lines, cable lines. There's also a
hole
in living room ceiling and several other holes in roof. Pieces of my
driveway
rained down on the house, two large chunks came through roof and living
room
ceiling while the other chunk came down above our bedroom, hit a rafter
and
stayed in attic. My garage was full of smoke but no fires, just
insulation
and wood that was seared. The Fire dept. used an infrared camera to make
sure
nothing was continuing to burn in wall and they covered holes in roof.
We've
found large chunks of driveway completely imbedded in neighbors yard
150' from
hole in driveway.

My neighbor was out working in his backyard about 250' away and said the
bolt
hit just when he dug into ground with a shovel, sparks flew from shovel
and
he has bruises on his arms from jolt and was hit by small pieces of
flying
cement from my driveway. At first he wondered what he had hit with his
shovel.

Several people on street lost computers, phone lines and cable. The
technician
said it took out a whole section of county , 1000 customers and my house
was
ground zero.

[Later evidence seems to indicate a complicated path for the lightning
to reach
a good earth ground, probably the buried water or sewer pipes in the
street.
It seems to have hit metal gutter above garage, traveled several feet
before
"jumping" to house vertical wiring near the garage door, downward to the
metal
angle iron along bottom of door, then "lept" to steel re-bar in the
concrete
driveway, to the end ot the re-bar and then to a wheel on the car parked
there,
thru the car body and back to more re-bar in the concrete, then under
the
shrubs, possibly heading for the buried street utlities.  Two craters in
the
driveway indicate where it entered and exited the encased re-bar.]

    http://ieeepstc.mindcruiser.com/