From: Price, Ed [mailto:ed.pr...@cubic.com]
Sent: April 1, 2002 6:47 AM
To: 'EMC-PSTC List'
Subject: Faying

A couple of weeks ago, there was a thread discussing bonding techniques
for
ground studs. I suggested that MIL-B-5087 had some nice drawings showing
typical accepted military practices. Of course, MIL-B-5087 has been
superseded by MIL-STD-464, but you can still find electronic copies of
MIL-B-5087.

Jacob Shanker read through all of the 464 sections on Bonding, and then
asked me if I knew what the term "faying" meant. It seems that
MIL-STD-464
uses that term without any definition, as if it's a very common American
English word. IMHO, I consider myself to possess a rather decent
vocabulary.
But "faying" left me puzzled, even after closely reading the context of
the
several citings in MIL-STD-464. It's certainly not in any common usage
in my
part of the world. I certainly wouldn't want to call something "faying"
at
any typical US military base. So, off to the dictionary web sites.

1. Britannica says: "not found".
2. Merriam Webster says: Main Entry: fay // Pronunciation: 'fA //
Function:
verb
   Etymology: Middle English feien, from Old English fEgan; akin to Old
High
German fuogen to fit, Latin pangere to fasten
   Date: before 12th century : to fit or join closely or tightly
3. Harcourt's Metallurgy Engineering Dictionary says: faying surface //
Metallurgy: the interface between two metallic parts that are to be
joined.
4. Finally, turning to Google in desperation for a simple explanation, I
find pictures at:
http://www.offroaders.com/info/tech-corner/reading/bolt-tension/bolt_ten
sion
.htm

So after all this searching, I find that MIL-STD-464 "faying" is just a
12th
Century Old English way to say "facing" or "mating" surfaces. I'm not
sure
how he did it, but I suspect John Woodgate is to blame for this.

Regards,

Ed

Ed Price
ed.pr...@cubic.com
Electromagnetic Compatibility Lab
Cubic Defense Systems
San Diego, CA  USA
858-505-2780  (Voice)
858-505-1583  (Fax)
Military & Avionics EMC Services Is Our Specialty
Shake-Bake-Shock - Metrology - Reliability Analysis

    http://ieeepstc.mindcruiser.com/