I knew I shouldn't have commented on this subject !!

We perform the IEC 60950 grounding test by connecting our
25A source between the ground pin of the mains cord and
the metalwork we want to check - and measure the volt drop
between the two points. If the surface was painted, we
might have to "dig" through the coating with our test probe.
Basically, our products consist of many steel parts all
screwed together, most of them plated, but some of them
painted. Where we have an ac operated module within our
products, such as a printer, monitor, or power supply,
invariably with a plated chassis, (screwed down
with the afore-mentioned screws), we supply it from a 3 core cord,
but if we removed the ground wire from this cord (which
would run back to an ac distribution circuit), there is no
noticeable difference in the results we get.

Regards,
John Crabb, Development Excellence (Product Safety) ,
NCR  Financial Solutions Group Ltd.,  Discovery Centre,
3 Fulton Road, Dundee, Scotland, DD2 4SW
E-Mail :john.cr...@scotland.ncr.com
Tel: +44 (0)1382-592289  (direct ). Fax +44 (0)1382-622243.