From: Peter Tarver [mailto:peter.tar...@sanmina-sci.com]
Sent: Thursday, March 14, 2002 11:52 AM
To: emc-p...@ieee.org
Cc: Massey, Doug C.
Subject: RE: ( More) Laser Safety Questions

All -

The only flaw with this is that, based on my previous
discussions with CDRH folks, they have very few auditors and
no budget to hire more (this was a few years ago).
Therefore, by their admission, the primary methods of
keeping manufacturers and importers honest is

1) trust in the manufacturer's basic honesty

2) complaints from competitors, customers, etc.

3) field incidents

Their primary concern was keeping up with the laser light
shows, which they said they could not set aside auditing on
(and for good reason).

As a test of the presumption, has anyone on this list ever
had a CDRH auditor in their facility, other than related to
a laser light show?

Regards,

Peter L. Tarver, PE
Product Safety Manager