I may have gotten in on the tail end of the dicussion, but here is my take on
residential DSL.

The FCC rules are quite clear on equipment marketed to residential environments,
Class B. The DSL equipment being sold to residences must comply with class B
limits
notwithstanding office use.

small, non-rack mounted routers and switches are probably still being argued as
class A devices although most major mfg make them already as class B.
Eventually,
when a lot of homes incorporate hubs and routers then those will also have to be
class B.

--- Cortland Richmond <72146....@compuserve.com> wrote:

> The reason for the Part 15 residential (Class B) limit is to protect
> reception, and the levels prescribed are (arguably) low enough to do so. If
> we allow higher levels, we are asking for service calls and perhaps
> official attention. But (unless I am mistaken) it is now the USER who
> responsible for interference generated by his Class A devices, and it's
> perfectly legal for us to sell them to him.
>
> I recently spent some years working for a company that makes telecomm
> equipment. I there encountered for the first time the "telco" point of view
> (which is probably not uncommon). In the telephone world, the service
> provider is responsible for everything up to the network interface.
> Everything beyond that is the responsibility of the customer. Therefore,
> some people assume that equipment installed prior to the NIC can be, and
> should be Class A for Part 15. I have argued, with success, that this is an
> error with potentially expensive consequences.
>
> Part 15 contains an exemption for equipment located within a facility -
> even just a locked room, cabinet or vault - controlled by the telco. There
> is an argument, which I make, that when we do this in a residential
> building, if we are NOT Class B compliant, we may wish we had been. (Even
> Class B is often not enough, and I have seen equipment meant for customer
> use whose specification was well below the FCC limit.) And though our
> employers' products may comply with Part 15 we are still liable for harmful
> interference.
>
> However, emissions may be suppressed by other means than installing only
> Class B equipment and this is often the way to go. The utility exemption
> does make this easier.
>
> I personally believe that one may make a case for the mechanical room being
> Class A. It often contains furnaces, motors, and many other unregulated
> devices which generate high levels of radio and television interference,
> and to impose a stricter standard on telecom equipment in the same place
> seems a bit of a reach.
>
> But look at the environment! Will emissions reaching a customer location be
> above the Class B limit? If so, then I would say due diligence requires
> suppressing them further.  A vault in a steel reinforced building's
> basement is a different matter than a rooftop utility hut with TV antennas
> just 3 meters away. If deployment entails a wide range of installations,
> then it is probably best to suppress all of it to Class B, rather than
> install Class B retrofit kits on a case-by-case basis. This is a decision I
> believe has to be made when the product is proposed.
>

> Regards,
>
> Cortland Richmond
> (unemployed, and looking)

> with the single line:
>      unsubscribe emc-pstc

>      Ron Pickard:              emc-p...@hypercom.com
>      Dave Heald:               davehe...@mediaone.net

>     http://ieeepstc.mindcruiser.com/
> [...]

=====
Best Regards
Hans Mellberg
Regulatory Compliance & EMC Design Services Consultant
By the Pacific Coast next to Silicon Valley,
Santa Cruz, CA, USA
408-507-9694

http://sports.yahoo.com/