Mike,

Go to the following link of the CDRH (Center for Devices and Radiological
Health). They're the ones to whom the
reports will be sent. There are further links to information that will be
very useful to you and should answer most
of the questions you posed below.

http://www.fda.gov/cdrh/radhlth/index.html

Simply put, at this moment in the US LEDs are not regulated. But the CDRH
will be aligning the regs with Europe (EN 60825) where
verification that the LEDs are safe is required.

GE Interlogix

John A. Juhasz

Fiber Options Div.
Bohemia, NY