Brian,
I appreciate for your purposes the SPC component of choice is the MOV. Quite right too, if you are considering cost and device safety standards like UL 1449. SPC standards, which tend to be for component electrical and environmental performance, can only overlap the requirements of an Equipment/Device safety standard.

Your perception of other protection technologies needs revision.

True, PN junction zener breakdown diodes have a very soft clamping characteristic. NB The zener breakdown effect only occurs below about 7 V. To counter the poor zener clamping characteristic a multi-junction silicon semiconductor component using the punch-through effect can be used. This type of technology provides a sharp clamping characteristic from a few volts upwards. Punch-through voltage limiters can be found in Ethernet ports. These SPCs protect the Ethernet PHY chip against damaging overvoltages (even though 5-volts may not sound like an overvoltage)

Above 7 V a different breakdown effect comes in -- the avalanche effect. Avalanche breakdown diodes have a good sharp clamping characteristic. You may see them referred to as SADs, Silicon Avalanche Diodes. The three-letter acronym powers that be in the IEC said they didn't want a sad component and so the ABD, Avalanche Breakdown Diode, acronym came into being. Unfortunately, many people, who don't know the difference between zener and avalanche breakdown, call ABDs zeners, which is totally wrong. All PN junction semiconductors have relatively low thermal capacity and energy absorption capability. These deficiencies can be countered by using series and parallel combinations of ABDs. There are several companies in the US making AC Power SPDs using this approach -- costly, but these have a better clamping performance than an MOV.

The GDT uses gaseous discharge and the switching time from sparkover to the low-voltage arc can be in the tens of nanoseconds. The problem is that the sparkover voltage is dependent on the rate of voltage rise. This overshoot of surge sparkover to AC sparkover can be something like 2:1. This is not a firm ratio but dependent on the AC/DC sparkover voltage. An 80 V GDT will have a higher surge sparkover voltage than the "sweet spot" 250 V GDT. An interesting trend I've noticed is for GDT MOV series combinations where PLC is being used. Put MOV protection (read capacitance) on the AC supply and PLC reach and environmental pollution are reduced. Protect using a low capacitance GDT MOV series combination and PLC reach and environmental pollution are maximised.

Regards
Mick