Sir

To paraphrase Mr. Mertinooke (previous post in this thread), my testing also
goes way beyond requirments of 950 and 1010-based standards, because these
standards have not, and cannot keep up with advances in circuit design and
materials technology. As very small, hi power-density (e.g., resonate-mode
converters) power supplies become more common, as FETs used in the main and
PFC converters become more reliable > 70 deg ambient, and as the thermal
conductivity of "embedded" materials increases, standards and associated test
conditions must change.

I have never seen my employer's designs fail in an unsafe mode in the field;
and not necessarily because two or three NCBs/NRTLs/etc said the unit was ok,
but because of "internal" safety testing, conducted outside of the scope of
any applicable standard, that revealed the actual (potential) safety hazards.
Product Safety Test design resulted from system-level simulation and extremes
of differential design equations. I did not consider these tests "even more
difficult to simulate repeatably".

I am concerned that we are wasting our time stressing components that could
never fail , other than multiple-fault conditions.

I am also concerned that there are products on the market, tested in good
faith, that would be unsafe for a more probable SFC, that would not be tested
for, in accordance with existing standards.

I apreciated you comments, got the grey-matter in motion..

R/S,
Brian