From: Sandi McEnery [mailto:smcen...@ustech-lab.com]
Sent: Wednesday, January 15, 2003 10:35 AM
To: emc-p...@majordomo.ieee.org
Subject: Video Cameras for EMC Test Monitoring

We are in the process of purchasing  video cameras for monitoring EMC Immunity
testing up to 10V/M.  Pricing for cameras designed to withstand 20V/M is way
high....

....  do any of you successfully use cameras that are not as sturdy?  Or ...
does anyone know where we might purchase a used system??

Sandi McEnery
US Technologies
770-740-0717(ph)
770-740-1508 (fax)
smcen...@ustech-lab.com

I can suggest two paths.

I have been using an aged Sony Hi-8 Handycam. This yields an NTSC color video
output and an audio output. It has autofocus. Nothing special about the camera
(it was passed along to me from our corporate PR guys when the built-in tape
deck died). By itself, this camera would never withstand the fields I can
develop (I do the 200 V/M, 10 kHz to 18 GHz military), so shielding was needed.

So, here's Path 1. I bought a 1-gallon size paint can (metal, of course). I
mounted a Corcom powerline filter (with built-in male powerline connector)
into the bottom of the paint can. I also mounted two BNC feed-through
connectors (one each for video & audio). Connect the camera & power pack, and
connect the camera outputs to the BNC connectors. I then stuffed the camera
power pack and the camera into the can using stiff foam rubber. After checking
the camera positioning, I cut a 1" diameter hole in the paint-can cover. Press
the cover in place, and you are finished. I didn't use any screen across the
open hole in the cover. I also didn't bother with any mounting hardware for
the can (I use traditional military duct tape for almost everything). The
paint can makes an excellent RF shield, since all the seams are soldered. The
cover, when pressed in place, also yields a perfect RF seal. (Caution; fancy
paint cans come with an internal plastic film to prevent corrosion. If you get
this kind, you will have to use a wire wheel and buff off the plastic around
the cover seal.) My gamble about no lens-hole shielding was successful, but
you could always solder a patch of copper screen onto the rear surface of the
cover hole. Also, the audio is transmitted through the can walls pretty well.
(Audio is really great, as it lets you verify continued operation of the UUT,
and allows correlation of observations with UUT operational events. And it
gives you a one-way intercom.) This paint-can technique is great for shielding
other support devices during a test; and the cans are available in quart and
pint sizes also. Finally, the shiny paint-can makes a great statement about
the frugality of your lab.

But, even Sony Handy-cams must die sometime, so now Path 2. After 6 years of
use, it became intermittent enough to force me to get a quick replacement. I
bought a color CCD video camera, color LCD, power pack and a 65' camera cable
>from Ramsey Electronics.

http://www.ramseyelectronics.com/

You can download their video products sub-catalog at:

http://www.ramseykits.com/catalog/pdf/2003-103.pdf

I bought their CCD322 camera package for $430. At the worst, I figured I could
always use the paint-can shielding technique. But the CCD322 camera looked
promising, as the case was made from a tubular section of aluminum. Aside from
the open lens end, there is only one circumferential seam, and that could
always be covered with conductive aluminum tape. All signals and power flow
through a single 65' long control cable (about a 1/4" diameter). The camera
runs in color mode when there's enough ambient light, and switches to IR with
its own LED illuminators as ambient light decreases. Picture quality on the
associated monitor is fine, although the viewing angle restriction of the LCD
(and a really cheap bracket/stand) are small drawbacks.

I set the camera on a cheap plastic tripod (the camera has a cheap little
mounting bracket), and ran the cable through a hole in my penetration port. I
didn't do any shielding to the camera housing, and I didn't even try to ground
the cable at the port. (I did route the cable as close to the floor and walls
as possible, and I minimized the length of cable in the enclosure.) With this
off-the-shelf configuration, I was very pleased to find that I could do 50 V/M
exposure without any camera problems. In the couple of months that I have been
using this system, I have done exposures up to 150 V/M at some frequencies. I
noticed that the camera began to exhibit some sync problems at 150 V/M in the
600 MHz region. So, it looks like I will have to do a few things, like tape
the camera body seam and ground the cable at the penetration port (and maybe
examine the cable-to-camera-body ground technique), if I want to get a 200 V/M
capability.

The camera does a great job at high light levels, but if it decides to turn on
its IR illuminators, you get a serious reflection problem. I suppose the IR
LED's are only On or Off, so, if you are looking at an instrument control
panel, you might have to play around with placing an auxiliary light source to
prevent the IR mode. The most difficult problem I have had is observing
unlighted LCD panels; this takes some time to get the camera and light source
positioned to allow viewing the display without getting a reflection from the
display front surface. I wish there was some remote way to suppress the IR
illuminators. Finally, the camera is even waterproof.

Regards,

Ed

Ed Price
ed.pr...@cubic.com
Electromagnetic Compatibility Lab
Cubic Defense Systems
San Diego, CA  USA
858-505-2780  (Voice)
858-505-1583  (Fax)
Military & Avionics EMC Is Our Specialty
Shake-Bake-Shock - Metrology - Reliability Analysis