I read in !emc-pstc that ssel...@yorkemc.co.uk wrote (in
<e18ohm0-000bwv...@anchor-post-31.mail.demon.net>) about 'dmax test' on
Fri, 28 Feb 2003:
>I agree that switch-on is the most likely culprit in a EMC sense,  and that
the
>cooling of mitigation devices (thermistors etc) is  important. I was merely
>pointing out that the standard specifically  states:  "switch off the EUT
before
>the end of the 1 min measuring  time interval"    I suppose its conceivable
that
>voltage changes  could occur, it depends what a particular EUT actually does
>when  you click the switch.

A voltage change obviously occurs when the load is removed from the
supply. My point is that this change has no element of the nature of
inrush. Some might think that there is a 'outrush'!

> Maybe contact bounce comes into it?

Contact bounce and making and breaking speeds differ between switches,
which is why you must use the equipment's OWN switch to switch on and
off. When developing the test, we tried to use a solid-state relay
driven by a phase-detector that would switch at 0, 90, 180 and 270
degrees relative to a positive-going zero-crossing of the supply
voltage, because that would require just four measurements to get a
meaningful result. But we found that the equipment's own switch gave
different results (a 20% lower average inrush current in the relevant
experiments).
http://www.isce.org.uk
PLEASE do NOT copy news posts to me by E-MAIL!