Assuming the ripple portion of the current signal does not have a significant
crest factor, a decent digital multimeter accross a shunt (both shall be
calibrated units) will provide acceptable data. If the unit cannot maintain a
current level, than the load must be reduced. In general, hi-frequency ripple
on a DC output should not contribute significantly to output current or
voltage data for (non-abnormal) Type Tests. If it does, something may be wrong
with test conditions or the unit being tested.

The requirements of this test is to determine maximum current available on an
output. It is important to be aware the some PC power supplies have
cross-regulation problems for certain load combinations; so it is up to the
tester to determine what load configuration will enable a max continuous
current for each output; and exact test conditions shall be recorded on the
TRF.

Please note that data for the overload Type Test is not recorded using this
test configuration.

R/S,
Brian

 have been asked by my TUV office to measure the actual output current
for each of the 5-7 voltages on my PC power supplies. The purpose of
this is to baseline the maximum output current in terms of maximum
power, not instantaneous current, for each of the various motherboards
we use.

On the surface it seemed like a simple exercise of putting a DC current
meter in series with each of the outputs. Given that the current demand
for each of these outputs is dynamic, corresponding with the processing
activity, does it make sense to measure this output current with a True
RMS meter?

If this is the case, I would assume that the True RMS meter takes the
measurement based on some type of a time weighted average or sample
time. Do any of you have a feel for how this is calculated?

How do manufacturers of these PC supplies address the maximum output
current ratings for each voltage. Does this rating take into account
PEAK demands for current (or over current)?