Lou Aiken wrote

>> ... what practical reasons there are for using PC traces to provide
earth fault circuits. <<

One practical reason is, to cut costs and simplify construction. Some years
ago a former employer designed and made a computer power supply with the
safety ground on the board, and UL allowed it. It was necessary to make the
board rugged enough at the grounding point to accept a standard, threaded
stud, nut and washer combination; they would not budge on THAT. It survived
fault current tests just fine.

What we got from this was the ability to put everything, including an IEC
power connector, on one board, and eliminate flying wires.

I've also seen current requirements which could not be reasonably met using
a PWB trace, and in that case, a heavy bus strap was soldered onto the
board. This is a viable replacement where space or fabrication constraints
don't allow for the heavy, wide traces high current incurs. This
construction may be a reasonable answer to  some of the issues here.

Cortland