This thread has been interesting.  I am, at this moment, considering a design
where I am almost forced to use a PC (printed circuit) trace for Earth ground.

It seems funny to me that most equipment has been historically made with 18AWG
protective ground pigtail wires; and 25A ground fault tests have been used for
years.

Now that PC  traces are being used for protective ground; we want to test with
200A or greater impulse currents?  I'm curious about what would happen to your
typical 18AWG line cord during this test.  I'm wondering if the line cord
would fuse open?

There are a couple of handy charts on the web.

One is at www.kepcopower.com/nomovax2.htm this is a nomograph of maximum
operating current, AWG and IR drop in the conductor.  The point "A" is
generally considered the point of maximum IR drop.  If you draw a line from
point "A", through a wire gauge size; you'll get a max current.  Of course
this is steady state current; and the nomograph assumes a single wire.  Wire
bundles would be a worse case.  It's too bad that this chart doesn't contain
the "fuse" values for the wires as well (the  I squared * T values).

Another is at www.circuitboards.com/capacity.php3.   This is a chart of max
current for PC traces.  Remember that this is for TRACES and planes only; it
doesn't say anything about vias and other potential problems.

At first pass, it seems that a trace size to handle twice the power cord's max
current, (from the nomograph) with a 10degC trace temperature rise (from the
PC trace chart), would be a good rule of thumb for the trace size.  If I have
room, I'll just make it bigger.  Once we pay for the PC board fabrication, the
copper is free!

Even with an  adequately sized trace; I can think of a few potential problems
with the trace to chassis connection:

1.  Many layout people open up PC traces or planes around vias so that only
four little 20 mil wide bridges carry the current to the via.  This is great
for soldering heat relief; but BAD for current carrying capacity.  These
little bridges can fuse open in high current conditions.  I am considering
solving this by not putting any thermal reliefs around your Earth ground vias
and using multiple vias.

2.  Another problem with these traces is using plated through vias with screws
through them.    It has been found that plated through vias can crack when
they are put under pressure from screws.    Some power supply manufacturers
solve this by bringing the Earth ground trace to the surface with vias near
the chassis connection point; then route this to a solid plated pad on the
surface layer for chassis connection.  I am considering this same solution as
well.

3.  The third problem is mechanical.  Once Earth ground brought to a pad on
the circuitboard; then there is still the issue of getting a good mechanical
mate to the chassis with a wide surface area.  If the connection is made
through a couple of teeth on a star washer; then there is a potential for
localized heating.   I'm just going to maximize surface contact area for this
one.  I'm also considering using multiple board to chassis connection
locations.  Every screw that connects the board to chassis is a potential
Earth ground connection.

The last "fuse" in any power system is the cord connected to the product.  It
seems to me, (just an opinion now) that a Earth ground system made to handle
the worst case current of your worst case power input cable (along with some
design margin) would stand a good chance of passing any regulatory test.

Can any of the gurus see a problem with this?

Chris Maxwell | Design Engineer - Optical Division
email chris.maxw...@nettest.com | dir +1 315 266 5128 | fax +1 315 797 8024

NetTest | 6 Rhoads Drive, Utica, NY 13502 | USA
web www.nettest.com | tel +1 315 797 4449 |