I interpret 4.9.2.a as trying to ensure that you are not playing tricks with
the selection of frequencies. For instance, at the low end of your hop
range, your circuit might generate higher harmonic content, so you decide to
choose a hop set that's all in the upper 1/3 of the range. No, uh-uh, not
prudent, shouldn't do that.

If by "methods", you mean scanning speed, in MHz per second, then remember
that Paragraph 4.3.10.3.1, Table II is only a set of maximum speed limits.
Notice that 4.3.10.3.3 says "For equipment that operates such that the
potential emissions are produced at only infrequent intervals, times for
frequency scanning shall be increased as necessary to capture any
emissions." As I said earlier, you may have to scan much slower than the
speed limit.

Regards,

Ed

Ed Price
ed.pr...@cubic.com
Electromagnetic Compatibility Lab
Cubic Defense Systems
San Diego, CA  USA
858-505-2780  (Voice)
858-505-1583  (Fax)
Military & Avionics EMC Is Our Specialty
Shake-Bake-Shock - Metrology - Reliability Analysis