Rich,

Your colleague may be correct in his theory, but the only 'real-life'
example I am aware of relates to deterioration of a connector containing EMI
suppression capacitors.  The capacitors were hi-pot tested as components,
were tested again as part of the connector by a second manufacturer, when
incorporated into a cable assembly by a third manufacturer and finally when
incorporated in the end-product: always using a D.C. voltage.  Problems were
identified when the dielectric broke down at the much lower normal working
voltage of the connector and the connector overheated as a result (the
capacitors were located in a power supply line).  Subsequent tests in the
lab showed that the problem resulted from the excessive hi-pot testing.

Another issue I would foresee of using only a DC voltage in production is
that the dv/dt can be much higher than using an AC test voltage (some of
which can be set to start the ramp-up at zero volts) if the test engineer
decides to use a ramp time that is too short.  Another 'issue' with DC
Hi-pot testers is that they usually have a high output resistance and so it
is necessary to measure the applied voltage directly rather than by using a
third winding on the EHT transformer as can be the case with 500 VA + AC
testers (otherwise the indicated voltage is higher than the actual applied
voltage).

In general therefore, it seems wise to use the minimum voltage setting
permitted in the standard and to select a ramp time that is long enough not
to over-stress the insulation and a dwell time that is as short as permitted
in the standard.  If you're going to use a DC voltage, make sure that
voltage indicated on any meter associated with the hi-pot tester is the
actual voltage applied.  Some of the more expensive hi-pot testers also have
an 'ionisation' detection function that signals the existence of r.f.
currents that precede breakdown, i.e, a form of partial discharge testing.

Regards,

Richard Hughes
Safety Answers Limited.